Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blueberry & Pear Tart

Simple, beautiful, and delicious with just the right amount of sweetness.



What's better? A slice topped with fresh cinnamon whipped cream...not pictured-- I know, but trust me! My fiance and I added a dollop on after I snapped some shots and it was such a delightful addition.

When I am in a baking mood and happen to have fruit on hand, I like to put together a quick rustic crostata with homemade pie dough. This time, however, my oven was crying out for my tart pan-- it's been awhile since their last play date. For the dough, I followed my favorite pate sucree tart shell recipe from Martha.

Blueberry & Pear Tart
 for one 9" tart


prepared pate sucree
3 cups barlett pears, cut into approx. 1/4 inch slices
1 1/2 cups blueberries
zest and juice of one large lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup corn starch


 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Prepare the pate sucree on a 9 inch fluted tart pan. Prick the tart shell several times with a fork before placing it on a baking sheet and then the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, gently toss to combine the pears, blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and corn starch. Allow this fruit mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes before pouring it on top of the tart shell. Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes-- crust should be golden brown and fruit tender. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, and serve. 


Cinnamon Whipped Cream
makes about 1 cup


1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


1. Combine all the ingredients and whip on high speed with a hand or standing mixer until cream becomes thick and moderately stiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment