Thursday, April 25, 2013

Not Just a Housewife

This post is for all you domestic divas and ladies with even an ounce of traditional homemaker desire.

Today I woke up before my alarm went off at 6:42 A.M., rolled out of bed and ate a light meal prior to my daily workout. At about 8:15 I start a load of laundry and transferred clothes from the dryer to a basket. It's still pretty quiet in the house-- dogs are still sleeping and my hubby has a few more minutes before his alarm will wake him. Downstairs, I get his lunch ready and then prep our dinner-- all I have to do is put everything I need into the slow cooker to get the magic rolling. It's now about 8:35 and I hear the sound of Ellie's tail thumping against the floor upstairs-- Henry's up and the door is about to open for the dogs to come darting down. This is my cue to get the coffee going and breakfast cooking. Green smoothie-- check. Egg white omelet-- check. Henry feeds and lets the dogs out for their A.M. routine, washes his hands, and then we sit down to say a prayer before eating the day's most important meal. 
via
It's about 9:15 now and just a few minutes away before he has to start getting ready for work. We exchange a few little kisses and then I start unloading last night's dishes so I can start a new load. I bleach and scrub the sink down, wipe and sanitize the counters/table, and feel like my day is really starting now that the kitchen is clean. I take a few minutes to update my planner, check my Instagram, read up on my Facebook newsfeed, and catch up on a few of the latest posts from some favorite blogs. At about 9:30 I remember there's a load of laundry in the wash so I quickly transfer it to the dryer. Before folding the pile from this morning, I place another load of whites in the washer. After realizing, I can't find half of the mates to my socks, I finish folding and start to put the clothes away in our drawers. Henry's now deciding what to wear to work so I pick out something goofy for him. He naturally turns it down but laughs at my joke before I suggest something else. While he changes and starts to do his hair, I make the bed. Next, I jump and lay on the bed for a few minutes while I chat with Henry as he finishes up. 
via
 At 10:00, I go downstairs and make sure everything is ready to go for his lunch. I do a quick check of our mail pile and sort through bills and junk mail. While Sophie and Harlin are starting to wrestle in the living room area, I hear my husband pick out his shoes for the day and put them on. I already vacuumed and mopped yesterday, so today I just need to do a little more dusting. As a am in the closet grabbing the Pledge, I turn to kiss my love good-bye and wish him a good day at work. It's now about 10:20-- after I dust all surface areas, base boards, door trim, stairs, etc. I hop into the shower (I don't plan on staying in my sweaty gym clothes all day).  I take my time and enjoy the nice water, dry off, and complete the rest of my makeup/hair routine. Before going downstairs I take the opportunity to clean up our master bathroom-- spray the shower, sanitize and wipe down the toilet/counters/tub, and organize our toiletries.

The time is about 5 till noon and I am feeling pretty good--energetic and enthused, actually. Our house is in great shape, my workout is done, and dinner is already being made. Man, I sure feel like one domestic housewife.

Maybe it's due to my parents influence with their very traditional stance on home life. Maybe it's because I just have a nurturing personality and I like to care for others and my home. Maybe because Martha Stewart is kind of a huge role-model. Whatever it is-- you can call me domestic and traditional.

A few months ago, I was a little embarrassed about this fact, but now I own it. However, a few months ago, I was also at the peak of some pretty huge life changes, an emotional roller coaster laced with depression, and a realization that the career I worked my butt to build didn't fit with my life at the time being. The thought of leaving my role as an educator was scary and filled with guilt, but the guilt was worse when I allowed myself to just even think of how much joy I would get out of being able to spend more time caring for my husband, marriage, and home. Uh-- leave work because your life demands it, but enjoy an early retirement at 25 to live as a housewife until you start a career again? I definitely felt like a fool/loser. Most mid-twenty-year-old-gals I knew working their butts off at the start of their profession, or finishing up their schooling to start their dream jobs. I felt crazy for leaving and even more nuts for knowing it was the right call. My normal weekdays filled with lesson plans and instruction soon shifted to housewife duties and a small amount of private tutoring (and blogging)-- what a change. And, to be really honest...I loved it.

I didn't love the not working part (still trying to pursue more work in my field and dessert catering goals)-- in fact I have a hard time still transitioning from bringing home my bacon to just eating it. I loved that I could care for my husband and do things around the house to stay organized and clean. I felt like I was really living out one of my greatest purposes as a wife. However, whenever I would get the question, "So, what do you do now that you're not working?" I would still stumble over my words and couldn't quite bear to admit that although I was working part time during the week, truthfully for the time being I was a housewife-- simply put. Yes, right now at the age of 25 with a graduate degree, I am a housewife.

Being a housewife doesn't mean you sit around like Peggy Bundy and eat Bon-Bons during your favorite soap opera. Sure, that may apply to some-- but not to this housewife. Being a housewife means taking charge of my God-given talents of nurturing and caring for my husband and family. If I can be the one to help make the ship run a little tighter and smoother or help my husband have an easier day (because that man truly works hard), then I will and I am going to be proud of it. I won't settle for being just a housewife.
via
More often than not in this day-and-age and society, traditional views on how a woman should be in the house are shunned upon or seen as a lost cause. I'm not saying that being a homemaker and domestic are the best and only way for women, but if you ever doubt your role as one of these and are feeling insecure or inferior-- don't. Being able to manage a home is so underrated at times. Eventually, I do plan on working full time again (maybe part time or from home when we have children), and I still hope to balance what I can with my domestic roles. For all you ladies out there that are already doing this-- I salute you.

Take pride in caring for your loved one, it's a blessing,...and just maybe keep the Bon-Bons in the freezer for the occasional treat.

Better yet, keep a green smoothie ready for an energy filled mid-day meal. They help you tackle those gross cob-webs in high and hard-to-reach corners.

"A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies. 
 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life. 
 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands. 
 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar. 
 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants. 
 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. 
 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks."
-Proverbs 31:10-17

No comments:

Post a Comment