Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dessert Inspiration: Geometric Cakes

Lately I've been daydreaming, scheming, and drafting up cake designs like mad! I find myself getting inspired by, really, anything-- jewelry, my clothes, stationary, and (of course) other fabulous cake designs. However, geometric designs and cakes have got my mind doing all kinds of twists and turns. Just yesterday, Henry and I were waiting in line to order from one of our favorite Mexican restaurants and I found myself visualizing their southwestern-style tiled wall as a 3-tiered cake. Today, I was working on some assignments in the library and caught myself transferring the wall, painted in colorful blocks, onto the sides of a smooth cake surface. I think my artistic perspective on things catches me at the most random times.  Also, more recently, I feel like my creative goggles are urging me to...create! 

Below are some geometric patterns and elements that I have been inspired by in the sugar department in recent times.

It's obvious I have a huge affinity for color!
via
via
via
via
via
via

via

Eek! After sharing these geometric inspirations, I can't decide what I want more-- to see these designs on cakes or parts of my house? Personally, I feel like they are just like a big smack of sunshine to the face-- instant smile factor. :)

I can't wait to share some of my cake projects, inspired by similar geometric patterns, on the blog. However, in the mean time, here are some fabulous designs by some amazingly talented pastry chefs and bakers.
by Erica O'Brien Cake Design
via ; cake designer unknown
by Elysia Root Cakes
by Sweet Bee Sweets
by Sweet & Saucy Shop

I love them all for such different reasons. Do you have one you are particularly fond of?

No comments:

Post a Comment