Thursday, November 7, 2013

How to Get More Dates in Your Life

Before I met my husband, I would have loved knowing the truth behind getting more dates. I just never had any luck.

Maybe it was me-- I blame myself. I kept looking for the wrong kind of dates.

Some girls sought after dates just for their looks. Others wanted dates that made them laugh and yet were still mature. What did I want? 

I just wanted my dates to be pitted and easy to eat! They are loaded with fantastic nutrients and taste delicious. I especially love when they are in natural and wholesome energy snack bars, such as Larabars. In fact, the Larabar is the inspiration behind these homemade Lemon and Coconut Date Bars. When they're cut into little bit-size pieces, they are so easy and great for healthy snacking! The perfect way to get more dates in your life!
 Wait...what kind of dates were you talking about? 

Lemon and Coconut Date Bars
makes about four 4" x 1" bars or 16 1" square bites

3 cups whole pitted and dried dates
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup dry old-fashioned oats
2 tsp natural lemon extract (or lemon zest)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp kosher salt

1. Put everything into a food processor and process the mixture until a thick paste-like mass has formed. The dates won't become completely smooth.
2. Transfer the mixture onto a flat surface lined with plastic wrap. Use your hands to flatten and compact the mixture until it's a square about  4" x 4" x 1". Make sure that everything is as tightly compacted as possible and then wrap the square well. You can use a baking sheet or pan to press the square down so that both sides are flat and smooth. Also, by pushing the square into the corner of a baking pan/sheet, you can attain nicer and more even corners. Let this rest for at least 2-3 hours before cutting the square into bars or smaller bite size pieces.
3. To store, keep them in a sealed container or wrap them up well.



No comments:

Post a Comment